I think it is probably natural that as a parent, we want to protect our kids emotionally - working to keep them from being scared, or anxious, making sure that the other kids are nice to them - hoping they'll like their teacher and the other teachers they come in contact with. . .and unfortunately, it's just not something we can always control. What I've attempted to do as we've led up to Kinder is to be as positive about the experience as possible. Fortunately for me, I have a positive experience of my own kindergarten year. I remember the first day of school as my mom walked me to my class that there was another kid crying, and clinging to their parents. I remember asking my mom, "Doesn't he want to go to school?" I didn't understand why someone wouldn't want to go to school. Mackenzi has seemed to take to that attitude as well. . .today as I was walking to her school to pick her up, I was walking along another parent who lives on our street, his little boy is in Mackenzi's class as well. He told me that Mackenzi has been so sweet to his little boy. His little boy is one who was dragged out from under his bed to get ready for school. Just doesn't want to go - and doesn't understand why his parents are making him go. But, he said that Mackenzi has offered to hold his hand when he's scared, and even offered him some of her brownie today at lunch. How sweet is that? My little princess, whom I worry whether others are being nice to her - is the one who is taking over by being nice to them. . .helping them not miss their mom and dad so much.
And even with that statement, I guess I feel a little sad - who wants to not be missed? In fact, as Mackenzi and I walked through her school today on the way to her room, I held out my hand to her, and she just shrugged her shoulders and said, "Mom, I'm walking right beside you." You're right, Mackenzi, you are walking beside me. She is a very independent little girl. . .and God has graced us with her. It's just the beginning of us helping to prepare her for this world. I pray that we make the right decisions in raising her. . .and continue to see her showing God's love to others when they need it - like she has been with the little boy in her class.
No comments:
Post a Comment