Thursday, July 23, 2009

Since Jesus came into my heart. . .


For the past several months, Mackenzi has really been understanding more and more what it means to make a decision to ask Jesus into her heart. She has asked more in depth questions here and there and with the passing of her great-grandmother, she really started grasping the whole picture. At least as it pertained to her five year old, nearly six year old mind.

Tonight I was in my room and she walked in and began asking me questions. She and I both aren't sure what questions she began with, but she told me that she didn't want to live with the "debil" when she died. She said with confidence that she wanted to live with Jesus when she died. She said that she knows that he died on the cross to save her of her sins. When I asked her what "sin" was, she said, "when you do bad things." And then she quickly followed up with, "But, sometimes when you do do bad things, you have to ask Jesus 'will you forgive me?' And he will!" As I continued to ask her questions, and allow her to just talk to me, it became very apparent that tonight was the night.

In the past, she has asked me and Brian specifically to tell her how to ask Jesus into her heart. And, it wasn't that we weren't wanting her to, we just wanted to be sure that we weren't coercing her, but letting the Spirit lead her.

As we were talking, she also shared with me a very profound thought and also assured me that she had a clear understanding of our conversation. She said, "Mom, when I was like two years old, I didn't want Jesus to be in my heart because I thought it meant that I would die real quick. But, now I know that I can have Jesus in my heart, and it doesn't mean that I'll die; it just means that when I do die, I'll live with him in heaven." Woah. That just blew me away.

She asked me what she needed to pray to have Jesus come into her heart. I told her that the answer was in the Bible. So, we opened up our Bibles (she had hers that she got for Christmas) and I read through the Romans Road. Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23; Romans 5:8; Romans 10:9-10; and Romans 10:13. She told me that she knew that Jesus had died on the cross to save us of our sins, but that He isn't on the cross anymore, he rose and is in heaven. Then she said, "Mom, it's kinda confusing, but God and Jesus are the same. You can say God or you can say Jesus."

Brian got home from work and I asked Kenzi to tell him what she had shared with me. With the sweetest twinkle in her eye, she said, "Daddy, I want to ask Jesus to come into my heart." Then, after a series of questions from him, he soon realized that she in deed did understand what she was talking about. Fully. He asked her if she wanted to pray right then, and she said, "Um, no, I want to pray later." So, in an effort to not push the situation, we waited until we usually pray together at dinnertime. He explained to her that she didn't have to wait, that she could pray anytime she wanted, and she just looked at him and said, "I know, Dad!"

So, right before dinner, she started asking Brian and I what she needed to pray. She got a little nervous, and kept asking us to repeat what it was she needed to say. Then we both told her that it was between her and God; all she needed to do was ask. . .and with the sweetest, little six year old voice, she prayed to receive Christ. Tears fill my eyes just remembering the feeling of holding her hand, knowing that her life, as well as mine, was bought and paid for with the crucifixion of our Lord. What an incredible blessing it was being a part of this.

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." "Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:9,13)

No comments: