Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Curb - 11 years

September 30th, 11 years ago. . .Brian and I sealed the beginning of our relationship with a kiss. . .on the campus of Dallas Baptist University. Okay, okay, I took the first step this particular day and decided to wait on Brian. You see, he was driving a red hot '95 Mustang Cobra, and well, he was a bit proud of it. . .so, he would always park it as far away from other cars are possible. On this day, he was in one of the smaller parking lots at the end, of course, and it happened to be near the grass. So, I had my backpack, loaded with a few things - mostly books. . .and, well, I sat there. Waiting. Trying to decide if I was doing the right thing by waiting or not. . .and continued to wait. Meanwhile I was pulling a book out of my backpack, not even reading it, just looking at it - trying to look inconspicuous. . .then putting the book back in my backpack, and pulling out another one. . .Then the time came, his class should be out - my mind raced back and forth - do I stay, do I go? what do I do? But, it was too late - Brian came walking down the sidewalk with someone from his class, and turned his head. It was in that second when he saw me, that I knew I had done the right thing by waiting. . .the smile on his face confirmed that he was as interested in me and I was in him. You see, we had already been talking quite a bit, sharing notes in Statistics quite a bit, but I wasn't sure if he was interested in me romantically until that second.

It's certainly a smile I've never forgotten. He sat down next to me on the curb and we just visited. . .for about three hours. Near the end of that three hours - we were talking about all kinds of things, and nervously picking at the rocks on the ground. . .The moments leading up to that first kiss escape me. . .but the comfort I felt in that kiss 11 years ago I still feel today. After that day on the curb, we would make a point to return to it and pray together, spend time together, just enjoying each others' company. And, until last year, we were able to physically revisit that curb every year, exactly where we sat. . .and we know it was the same place because Brian marked the curb with red touch up paint "9-30-97". Last year DBU decided to build some large chapel there. . .and this year they are still working on the building of that chapel. . .and so we had to venture elsewhere on campus.

DBU is such a beautiful place, and so finding somewhere to sit with our family and take a picture was not a difficult task. And as an added blessing this year, we were able to take our new precious one, Levi, with us.

This yearly tradition for us is a blessing as we always make a point to remember the memories we shared in the first couple years of our relationship.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's a great first kiss story!!

adawn412 said...

I've heard that story at least fifty times--I could tell it myself...hee hee...and yet it still makes me cry! lol Love you both SOOO much!!