Friday, October 5, 2007

Show N Tell

Today is Mackenzi's day for show-n-tell at her preschool. She's going to Cross of Christ Lutheran school. She's been going there since she was 17 months old when I started working at Grace. This year we started her out in the regular MDO class for the 4 year olds. However, the school came to us and asked if she could be moved on up into the preschool class. Her new teacher's name is Mrs. Hinkley - although Kenzi was calling her Mrs. Klinkley for at least the first week.

She's asked me everyday this week if it is her day to take the show-n-tell to school. And today was finally the day! Last night it was hilarious because she had the bag in my room and was walking back and forth from my room to hers bringing various items to put in the bag. At first I didn't realize what she was doing, but then it dawned on me - and by then she had a multitude of items in the bag - it's a pretty large bag, so it was holding all these items with no problem. Once I realized what she was doing, I asked her to show me what she had in the bag. . .she had 3 barbies (which were given to her by my boss from work this past week - Jennifer has a 9 year old who is working on cleaning out her room, and that consisted of giving Mackenzi nearly 19 barbie dolls, accessories included!) and then she had various things - notepad paper that she had scribbled on - a coloring book that her school gave her on how to "keep her body safe" - I told her that all the kids in her class received the same coloring book, and felt it would be o.k. to take that out. Then we proceeded to take out the 5 or 6 different sheets of paper. With each one she told me why she thought it should be included - on one she had written Colby's name - on one she had written what was going to be "taught" for the day - etc. . .just her rendition of why those pieces of paper were important. Thankfully I talked her down to just the three barbies.

This morning she was very eager to carry the bag out to the car - which is something she won't really ask to do on an ordinary day when I'm lugging her lunch box, bag with her blanket for naptime in it, my lunch, my water bottles from home, my purse. . .well, you get the picture! She was very excited. She even jumped out of the car when we arrived at school and quickly took that green bag from my arms. We entered the threshold of her classroom door and she ran on over to the place where the show-n-tell bag is designated to be. Beaming, she came back to the door to give me a kiss goodbye. Up until this point, I just hadn't realized how much she's growing up - I mean, I do on some occasions, like the other day when she asked me if it was Daddy's birthday and I told her no - she replied, "Oh pickle." It's just so crazy to look back at pictures when she didn't have hair, and was crying every time I stepped more than 4 feet away from her. . .and now - not that she doesn't get upset at me for not waiting for her when we walk down the hallway, but just that she is more than excited to interact with the friends she has at school, and to have purpose in her day at school. Time flies way too quickly.

No comments: