Monday, May 25, 2009

From the mind of an almost 6 year old. . .

I want to brag on my little princess. This past week, she experienced her first death in the family. Brian's grandmother, Neva Lou Kreymer, went to be with the Lord on May 20, 2009. She celebrated her 98th birthday this past April.

A couple of weeks ago, she had a heart attack and went to the hospital. We took Mackenzi and spent time with Mamaw. She came home, and we were able to visit with her on Mother's Day as well. Over the course of the past several weeks, we have talked with Mackenzi on the process of dying, and have used this as an opportunity to also talk with her about our Salvation. Sometimes you never really know how things are sinking in with an almost 6 year old mind. When we got the call that Mamaw had passed away, I told Mackenzi that Mamaw had gone to be with the Lord. She looked at me, and seemed a bit puzzled, and then said, "So, my neighbor can't come over." And sort of walked off. I didn't push the point with her, she was right. She knew that it meant we'd be going out of town.



We got to Wylie that evening and spent time with all the family. It was a good time, and over the course of the next couple of days leading up the funeral, she asked a few questions at different times. The day after Mamaw passed away, I took Mackenzi and Levi to Arby's in town and then on to the park in Wylie. Mackenzi prayed for our lunch and said, "Dear Lord, I hope Mamaw has had a good day with you. Please take care of her. Please take care of her. Amen." When she looked up at me, I had tears in my eyes, and she started crying. It was the first time for her to show tears since knowing about Mamaw. She climbed in my lap and cried, and then pointed out the window to the sky and said, "That's where Mamaw lives now, with God. The clouds are her home." Then she asked me if Mamaw wore clothes when she went to Heaven. I told her no, that Mamaw didn't need any clothes. And she looked at me, again puzzled and asked, "Is Mamaw naked in Heaven?"



The next night was the viewing. Before we left the house, we explained to Mackenzi that she would see Mamaw's body, but that she would not be living. We tried out best to help her understand the process that we go through when someone dies. She seemed to handle seeing her that night at the viewing. Later after we got home, she was walking around with a piece of paper in her hand and a yellow highlighter. I asked her what she was doing, and she said, "I'm going to write a letter for Mamaw to go in that box with her." I asked her, "What are you writing?" She said, "Just a letter." And then she showed me that she had already written, "I love you Mamaw." She asked if I would help her get some of the "sight" words down because she didn't know how to spell some words. She composed this letter. . .









I love you Mamaw. I hope you have a great day Mamaw. I know your body is in here, but you are really in heaven.

Pepaw was reading in his bed, and we were sitting in the hallway outside of his room. He heard Mackenzi writing this letter and asked her if she would read it at the funeral. She said yes right away. She wanted to practice reading what she had written, and so she did. . .that night and also the next morning. We got to the graveside where the funeral was, and Mackenzi told me after seeing all the people who had come that she didn't want to read it anymore. I told her that was o.k. but then she went to stand next to Pepaw. After hearing her Pepaw speak, daddy, Uncle Hilly, and Uncle Phillip, she bravely read her letter. She spoke loud enough for all to hear, and read her letter without a mistake. I was so proud of her. What a precious little girl she is. God is working in her, without a doubt.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

That is such a sweet story. Reading about her prayer and then reading her letter made me cry. Mackenzi is a beautiful little girl!